Alice frequently sends emails to Bob, which are split and encapsulated as IP packets transmitted through a series of intermediate nodes. However, the transmission path may vary because of the availability, quality, and bandwidth of circuits. Which of the following least affects the email transmission path?
A. DNS MX Records
B. Digital signature
C. Routing tables
D. Awareness training
Kindly be reminded that the suggested answer is for your reference only. It doesn’t matter whether you have the right or wrong answer. What really matters is your reasoning process and justifications.
My suggested answer is B. Digital signature.
The following factors affect the email transmission path:
- DNS MX records direct emails to SMTP servers.
- Routers forward packets by referencing routing tables.
- Awareness training affects the behavior of end-users in opening emails, clicking links, forwarding emails, etc. Forwarding emails is part of the email transmission path.
The digital signature can enforce data integrity, authenticity of origin, and nonrepudiation. It may affect a user’s decision to forward emails, but it doesn’t change a user’s behavior if a user is lack of security awareness.
- Essential DNS Records for Mail Delivery and Spam Protection
- 3 DNS Records Every Email Marketer Must Know
A BLUEPRINT FOR YOUR SUCCESS IN CISSP
My new book, The Effective CISSP: Security and Risk Management, helps CISSP aspirants build a solid conceptual security model. It is not only a tutorial for information security but also a study guide for the CISSP exam and informative reference for security professionals.
- It is available on Amazon.
- Readers from countries or regions not supported by Amazon can get your copy from the author’s web site.