Which of the following Agile approaches or frameworks provides the most programming practices?
A. The waterfall model
C. Extreme Programming (XP)
Kindly be reminded that the suggested answer is for your reference only. It doesn’t matter whether you have the right or wrong answer. What really matters is your reasoning process and justifications.
My suggested answer is C. Extreme Programming (XP).
Agile is a mindset upholding four values and twelve principles stated in the Manifesto for Agile Software Development and practices. Agile is an umbrella term. Any methods or practices that fulfill the Agile values and principles can be called Agile approaches.
- The waterfall model is not an Agile method or approach.
- Scrum is one of the Agile approaches, but Agile is not Scrum; the equivalence of Agile and Scrum is a misconception. Specifically, Scrum is a framework that incorporates various processes, techniques, and methods. It doesn’t provide any specific programming practices.
- Extreme programming has been described as having 12 practices.
- Kanban aims to manage work by balancing demands with available capacity, and by improving the handling of system-level bottlenecks.
Scrum is a lightweight framework that helps people, teams and organizations generate value through adaptive solutions for complex problems.
In a nutshell, Scrum requires a Scrum Master to foster an environment where:
1. A Product Owner orders the work for a complex problem into a Product Backlog.
2. The Scrum Team turns a selection of the work into an Increment of value during a Sprint.
3. The Scrum Team and its stakeholders inspect the results and adjust for the next Sprint.
Scrum is simple. Try it as is and determine if its philosophy, theory, and structure help to achieve goals and create value. The Scrum framework is purposefully incomplete, only defining the parts required to implement Scrum theory. Scrum is built upon by the collective intelligence of the people using it. Rather than provide people with detailed instructions, the rules of Scrum guide their relationships and interactions.
Various processes, techniques and methods can be employed within the framework. Scrum wraps around existing practices or renders them unnecessary. Scrum makes visible the relative efficacy of current management, environment, and work techniques, so that improvements can be made.
Source: The 2020 Scrum Guide
- Manifesto for Agile Software Development
- Agile – An Umbrella view
- Extreme Programming
- Extreme programming (Wikipedia)
- The 2020 Scrum Guide
- Kanban (development)
A BLUEPRINT FOR YOUR SUCCESS IN CISSP
My new book, The Effective CISSP: Security and Risk Management, helps CISSP aspirants build a solid conceptual security model. It is not only a tutorial for information security but also a study guide for the CISSP exam and an informative reference for security professionals.
- It is available on Amazon.
- Readers from countries or regions not supported by Amazon can get your copy from the author’s web site.