Which of the following is protected by copyright? (Wentz QOTD)
A. The expression of the idea
B. Facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation
C. The legal right to exclude others from making, using, or selling an invention
D. Recognizable sign, design, or expression which identifies products or services
Kindly be reminded that the suggested answer is for your reference only. It doesn’t matter whether you have the right or wrong answer. What really matters is your reasoning process and justifications.
My suggested answer is A. The expression of the idea.
- “Copyright protects only the expression of ideas and not ideas themselves.” (copyrightuser.org)
- “Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture. Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed.” (copyright.gov)
“A patent is a title that gives its owner the legal right to exclude others from making, using, or selling an invention for a limited period of years in exchange for publishing an enabling public disclosure of the invention.” (Wikipedia)
“A trademark (also written trade mark or trade-mark) is a type of intellectual property consisting of a recognizable sign, design, or expression which identifies products or services of a particular source from those of others, although trademarks used to identify services are usually called service marks.” (Wikipedia)
- Types of Intellectual Property (IP)
- Copyright Bite #2 – Idea and Expression
- What Does Copyright Protect?
- Frequently Asked Questions: Patents
- Copyright Protection: What it Is, How it Works
A BLUEPRINT FOR YOUR SUCCESS IN CISSP
My new book, The Effective CISSP: Security and Risk Management, helps CISSP aspirants build a solid conceptual security model. It is not only a tutorial for information security but also a study guide for the CISSP exam and an informative reference for security professionals.
- It is available on Amazon.
- Readers from countries or regions not supported by Amazon can get your copy from the author’s web site.
B. 事實 、 想法 、 系統或操作方法
D. 識別產品或服務的可識別標誌 、 設計或表達